Friday, January 2, 2015

reading diversity 2014

Okay, so early in 2014 I mentioned this was something I wanted to focus on reading more diversity after my last year of reading for the most part white authors, so to recap this was my 2013 reading year in terms of diversity. (This can be found at on this blog in January of 2014).


2013:
Total books read: 65
Female authors:32 (49%)
Male authors: 33 (51%)

Asian authors : 2 (3%)
African American: 1* (1.5%)
Hispanic: 1 (1.5%)
First Nation : 1 (1.5%)
Persian: 2 (3%)
White: 56* (86%)
Unknown: 3  (5%)


This year my reading had even more different categories, which is a step in the right direction, however, even still the majority of my books were focused on white authors again. I hope to continue the trend of reading more diversely in the number of different races that I read - but I would also like to read more books by authors that are not white.


This is how my year broke down in 2014:
Total books read : 50
 Female authors: 25 (50%)
Male authors : 20 (40%)
Books written by people of both genders: 5 (10%)


Asian authors: 4 (8%)
African American: 3 (6%)
Hispanic: 1 (2%)
Indian: 1 (2%)
First Nations: 2 (4%)
White:  30 (60%)
Unknown/written together with people of different races: 6 (12%)


So in 2014 authors that written solely by people who are non-white making up about 18% of my overall reading year which is much better than 8.5 % of last year. However, at 60% white authors make up the group with the largest percent and the vast majority of my reading. Thus in 2015 I want to continue to read more authors that are not white.

 Last year (2014) I read some new authors that I had not tried before (Thomas King, Toni Morrison - although I did not finish Beloved in 2014 but I am currently working on it) and in 2015 I want to continue looking into their work. Also I have been branching into more works by older favorites (I have been reading the Ten Little Indians by Sherman Alexie short stories on and off), I think the more I read diversity the more authors I am being introduced too that I want to read and the easier it is to read diversity. I have a couple of authors lined up for 2015 that I want to get more into (Sherman Alexie being a big one, I have two of his books, one short story one long that I want to get to) and I want to read Lawrence Hill after reading his short essay to read his novel (in American I think it's called the Wind Knows my Name, although in Canada the book is called the Book of the Negroes- and since I am Canadian that is the book I own). Plus after finally being able to track it down (and being pointed to Wells on more than a couple times) I have the Invisible Man by Ellison that I am really interested in reading. All in all I am excited for reading in 2015! Happy New Years :)







No comments:

Post a Comment